PALATINE SETTLEMENT SOCIETY, Inc.
"The Early Days"
Back in the Fall of 1982, a group of about 70 individuals met and
formed "The Palatine Settlement Society" to begin the process of
creating a living museum, a "dorf", or village, with adjoining farms,
forts, trademan's buildings, and churches as might have been
developed by the first settlers in the central Mohawk Valley
in the 18th Century. Milford Decker, St. Johnsville Town Historian
served as its first president.
Almost immediately, the old Nellis property along Route 5 about
one mile east of St. Johnsville attracted their attention, as did
the Old Stone Store in the village. By 1985, the Society had arranged
to purchase the property, and the Nellis Tavern, from Aleda Mary
Nellis Weaver, niece of James Nellis, the last Nellis to live
in the tavern.
The pictures on this page are from the 1983 era, giving you a glimpse
back to the days when the first Society members
began the task of restoring our Tavern.
View from the nothwest corner toward front door
Speaking of the Front Door
View from the northeast on Route 5
Clearing the forest was no small task!
The building now apears as two volunteers clear the last shrubs.
The building appears, but so much left to do
Here is the view from the east end of the building
with windows boarded up for safe-keeping.
Notice the early lime-stone foundation on the left.
View from the west. Note two door into the kitchen here.
South kitchen window
Making Progress in 1989
New Porch (based on 1950 photo)
Getting dressed up again after all those years
A quick peek at the kitchen in the beginning
The Cheese House arrives
NOTE: These Photos were copied from the several scrapbooks of the Society's activities.
(Last revised on October 16, 2021)
Click "HERE" to return to the Main Page